It is a year for great celebration, as the Foundation will be 10 years old! A milestone in our young history filled with many successes. The Foundation was established in October 2002 with the CRA granting “Charitable Status” under the terms of the Canadian Income Tax Act.
“To provide funding for the advancement of Risk Management and Insurance to students, organizers and stakeholders”.
Highlights from the successes of 2012 include the following:
- Awarded $12,500 in scholarships to worthy students from Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia
- Six (6) students from Ontario and Alberta, attended the Canada RIMS conference in Saskatoon
- Raised over $60K
- Net assets as of June 30,2012 is $845,524 (up 10%)
Since inception we have awarded:
- Over 47 undergraduate scholarships ($2500)
- Three post graduate John Faulds Awards ($5000)
- A total of $120,000 in scholarships
- 18 students have attended our Student Involvement program at RIMS Canada
- This sponsorship represents approximately $41,750
The Foundation wishes to acknowledge Joe Hardy for his efforts over the years that have allowed the Foundation to flourish and grow beyond the original dream. We wish him well in his retirement.
The foundation is pleased to announce that Mr. Hardy will act as the Students Ambassador on behalf of the foundation. Thank you Joe.
The current directors are as follows:
- Joe Restoule –(Aegis Insurances Services Inc)
- Mark Roberton (Nexen)
- Ashley Becker (AON) (Presently on temporary leave)
- Wayne Hickey (Methanex)
- April Savchuk (Catlin Canada)
- Marley Drainville (Enerplus Corporation)
- Denis Schaeffer (XL Canada)
Finally, the McGannon Foundation has been busy behinds the scenes planning for a 10th Year anniversary celebration to applaud its accomplishments, thank its donors, volunteers and stakeholders and to continue to generate interest in its plans, activities and future objectives.
The celebration was officially launched at the RIMS Canada night event held at the 2012 RIMS Conference in Philadelphia whereby the Foundation’s 10th year anniversary logo... and in keeping with the times… the foundations’s QR code were both unveiled.
On behalf of the board of directors, I wish to thank all who have contributed to our success, without you, it is not possible to realize such achievement.